Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tacoma Accepting Food Scraps as Compost

Yard Waste Bin To Allow Food Scraps in Tacoma, WA



 It is always shocking to me when I return myhome in Fife, WA (near Tacoma) and see that my parents do not compost any of their food waste. They are also unaware of the food items that are compostable! In Bellingham, composting is basically a way of life and something you get accustomed to by living here. It would be weird not to compost here it seems like. I am lucky enough to live in a house in Bellingham that has a yard waste container that also accepts food waste.

It will be nice once I visit home to finally have the same options. The only downside to these bins is the smell and flys that it attracts (I remember this being a problem last summer when temperatures rose).

Some items you can put in the yard waste bin:
  • Bread
  • Meat
  • Bones
  • Eggs
  • Pizza
  • Kitchen Scraps
 This will also be good for my parents to put these food scraps into the bin because our dog sometimes gets into the garbage, pulls it out from underneath the sink and drags it into the dining room which can create quite the mess. Without any food in the garbage really, there will be a smaller mess for her to make when we're not home.

At the beginning of next year Tacoma will launch a public awareness campaign explaining the do's and don't of the program.They will also distribute gallon-sized pails to customers to put their kitchen scraps in.

Since Fife, WA is technically a smaller town located in Tacoma, WA I am eager to see if my parents will actually use this compost program. Although they recycle the things they know they can (soda cans, plastic bottles) they are completely unaware of composting food scraps and I hope this program helps them become more aware so I don't have to get on their case any more when I visit!


Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/12/20/1953064/in-tacoma-food-scraps-soon-will.html#storylink=cpy

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/12/20/1953064/in-tacoma-food-scraps-soon-will.html


Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/12/13/1943167/6-blue-whales-spotted-off-washington.html#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Post a Comment