Thursday, April 5, 2012

Assignment # 2 Toxicity in Products




-None of the ingredients listed on the packaging (see above) were listed on the Toxicity list in OED
I was uneasy to see that my daily face wash was a moderate concern as an overall hazards and wanted to include it in my blog to remind myself to find an alternative, but I was even more concerned to see the results of my lip balm.

-None of the ingredients listed on the packaging were listed on the Toxicity list in OED

I decided to look up a product that I use on occasion, but something that was close to my mouth making it a greater concern since it was something I was potentially ingesting without realizing it. I was shocked to see that the lip balm that I have used since I was younger was such a high health concern and has definitely made me take a step back and look for better products. After seeing the results of many of my products, I searched by category on http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ and saw that there are plenty of alternatives that do not cost any more than what I am already using and that are ranked a zero or as a low health concern.

     I need to pay attention to the chemicals I am ingesting now so that it does not influence my health or reproduction in the future. 


Active Ingredients 

Dimethicone 2% (w/w) (Skin Protectant), 
Octinoxate 7. 5% (w/w) (Sunscreen)
Oxybenzone 2. 5% (w/w) (Sunscreen)

 Inactive Ingredients
Alumina
BIS-PEG-12 Dimethicone Beeswax, Butylparaben, C20-40 Pareth-3, Daucus Carota Sativa Root, Ethylparaben, Flavors, Fruit Extracts, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Hydroxylated Milk Glycerides, Isopropyl Myristate, Myristyl Myristate, Ozokerite, Panthenol, Pantothenic Acid Polypeptide, Polybutene, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Propylparaben, Purified Water, Retinyl Palmitate Polypeptide, Silica, Sodium Saccharin, Squalane, Sucralose, Tetrahexydecyl Ascorbate, Titanium Dioxide, Tridecyl Neopentanoate, Triisononanoin, May Contain Blue 1 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Yellow 10.

OXYBENZONE (2.5% in lip protectant) 



CONCERNS FOR  OXYBENZONE: 

ALLERGIES/IMMUNOTOXICITY

type of concernproduct conditionsreference
Possible human photoallergenic toxicant  SCCP (2006)
One or more human case studies show significant photoallergenic effects  Rodriguez E, Valbuena MC, Rey M, Porras de Quintana L, 2006
One or more human case studies show significant photoallergenic effects  Bryden AM, Moseley H, Ibbotson SH, Chowdhury MM, Beck MH, Bourke J, et al, 2006


DEVELOPMENTAL/REPRODUCTIVE TOXICITY

type of concernproduct conditionsreference
Limited evidence of developmental toxicity  NTP, 1990


USE RESTRICTIONS

type of concernproduct conditionsreference
Restricted in cosmetics (recommendations or requirements) - use, concentration, or manufacturing restrictions - Japan - restricted for use in some types of cosmetics (concentration limit)Japan's Standards for Cosmetics


I wanted to research oxybenzone because it is one of three active ingredients in my lip protectant and it also is a chemical in the sunscreen in the lip protectant/sunscreen.


The three highest concerns for the chemical oxybenzone were allergies/immunotoxicity, developmental/reproductive toxicity, and use restrictions. 


Allergies/immunotoxicity states that there is a possibility of human photoallergenic toxicant
Developmental/reproductive toxicity states that there is limited evidence of developmental toxicity 
Restrictions states that it was restricted in some types of cosmetics in Japan

ALTERNATIVE: (for makeup remover, chapstick, moisturizer) 


-None of the ingredients listed on the packaging (see above) were listed on the Toxicity list in OED

The personal care products that I use most frequently are makeup remover and lip balm. I decided to search on the website by category and saw that Vaseline (a cheap, natural product) was on the top list for both categories and also moisturizer! Next time I head to the drug store, I plan on picking up a bottle and eventually substituting it for my hazardous makeup remover, lip balm, and moisturizer. 

     After researching this product I definitely will use this website as a tool before I pick out products and throw out the products with a high health concern. 

1 comment:

  1. Great analysis and presentation, Megan, it does seem like every personal care product has at least one toxic ingredient these days!
    -EWG printout attached/on blog (10 points)
    -Findings from eco-toxicity analysis of a personal care product, including “extra research” (15 points)
    -Actions you plan to take in light of the findings (15 points)
    50/50

    ReplyDelete